If you’re a global nomad or have the wanderlust, I’d love to help you learn not only a new language, but also dive into a new culture and way of thinking.
Are you looking for a way to learn or improve your English, as well as your elementary understanding of German and Norwegian? In many countries around the world, bilingual and/or trilingual home, education and work life are the norm.
What I offer
I offer online language tutoring for general and specialised English (medical, business, engineering and technical). Make consistent progress in language learning and intercultural understanding with a private tutor via Skype or Zoom.
Ḿy base hourly rate starts from 180 NOK, € 18 EUR and AUD$ 27 per 45 minutes.
Languages I focus on
In a world where the majority of English language courses focus on American and British English, I focus on Australian English, Australian slang and Australianisms. I’m keen to share my stories of life in Australia and New Zealand with you, as well as my experiences in Norway and Germany.
- English: The hybrid language - English is a true fusion of many different languages, dialects and influences, and one that keeps growing and changing rapidly thanks to the sheer number of people using it. Sometimes it’s feared, other times hated, but pretty much respected as the international language of choice.
- Deutsch: Die logische Sprache - Some people dismiss German as an unimaginative and brusque language. But it all depends on whether you listen to German through culturally-biased ears or take time to really get to know the language. German’s history in motion will soon sound like music to your ears.
- Norsk: Riksmål eller landsmål - Norwegian’s enormous variation from place to place demonstrates how isolation and trade have developed it over the years. From Bokmål’s humble Danish roots, to Nynorsk’s patchwork of dialects, Norwegian will open many doors of opportunity in Scandinavia.
Intercultural understanding - a meeting of mind and spirit
A major part of learning a language involves immersing yourself in a new culture and understanding its unique personality, communication style and subtle customs. Local knowledge and specialised know-how can help you talk to and get along with people of other cultures, as well as seamlessly fit into their community and avoid common pitfalls.
Think, act and speak like a local. Develop an openness, understanding, tolerance and curiosity for different ways of thinking, working and living. I would like to help you, so that on your next holiday, at your next business meeting, or in your new home, you’ll be prepared for every facet of jumping in and successfully engaging in your target culture. Ensure that your time in Australia, Germany or Norway is an unforgettable one – for all the right reasons.
I grew up in a bilingual home (English and French) and have spent most of my life living with a toe in many cultures.
I’m an accidental linguist, having crashed into language training quite by chance, but ever since have dedicated myself to improving my professional knowledge of language acquisition, e.g. studying it at a tertiary level, teaching languages to others, as well as diving into language learning as a student.
I enjoy learning and working with language, and helping others do the same. Speaking languages is history in motion. A moment where we can combine the past, present and future simultaneously. Language also brings together the many influences which make us who we are, such as culture, tradition, art, storytelling, music, symbolism, philosophy, and more.
Before I lived in Norway, I lived in Freiburg, Germany and freelanced as an English trainer both there and over the border in Basel, Switzerland. I had contracts with a number of language schools teaching professional English (see an overview below).
I have experience teaching English to employees in the solar industry, as well as in diverse engineering disciplines from gear technology to waste water recycling and incineration plant construction.
I have given after-school tutoring to students sitting the Eurokom and Abitur exams, and prepared and supervised adults sitting various Cambridge tests.
Related to teaching English has been my collaboration with native German speakers in the translation of technical documents from Deutsch « » English.
I have coached students/clients on intercultural issues, as well as prepped them for international meetings and company tours.
In Australia, I volunteered as a teacher’s assistant at the Southern Queensland institute of TAFE in Toowoomba, teaching English to newly arrived migrants, as well as tutoring adults in literacy.
I’ve been teaching general and specialised English for thirteen years now. I continue to teach private individuals, and would be happy to pass on a testimonial.
Companies I have taught at
- SBL Sprachschule in Liestal, Switzerland: law enforcement, border security, medical and business English, as well as beginner level and intermediate conversational classes.
- English Training Consulting (ETC) in Basel, Switzerland: technical and business English.
- Die Vokabel in Emmendingen, Germany: beginner and intermediate level English, Nachhilfe (after school) support, one-on-one classes, as well as web site maintenance.
- Europa Park in Rust, Germany: general and specialised English to workers in hospitality and gastronomy, as well as security service.
- Duale Hochschule Baden Württemberg (DHBW) in Lörrach, Germany: English to students in tourism, industry and business administration, administered testing, as well as assisted students in the writing of term papers and theses.
- VHS Nördlicher Breisgau in Emmendingen, Germany: courses in Beginner’s English, piloting of both the KEY and GREAT textbooks for Cornelsen Verlag.
- VHS Freiburg in Freiburg, Germany: courses in Beginner’s English, assisted with Cambridge Examinations, specialised courses in English and Australian culture (cooking) and also Tea Time afternoons.
- Englisch Lernen Online in Freiburg, Germany: worked together with Benedikt Allkemper and his team on the recording of dialogues, and the proofreading and copywriting of web site content and lessons.
- inlingua in Freiburg and Villingen, Germany: beginner and intermediate level English to both private individuals and companies located in the Black Forest and Freiburg. This work also included the administering and supervising of tests.
- inlingua in Villingen: basic computing skills to students training to be Fremdsprachensekretärinnen and preparation of students about to sit the FCE Cambridge examination.